Sunday, August 27, 2006

fun in the sun

Today I decided to check out the lap pool. On friday when I went to the student recreation center, my first discovery was that the lap pool is an outdoor pool - which is very logical, being in Arizona and all. At Alabama, the lap pool was inside so I guess that was just what I was expecting again. Friday morning, I only glanced and it looked pretty empty and quiet.

This afternoon was sunny and 95 with deep blue sky and no clouds. Just right for a swim. As I am walking toward the pool, I notice groups of girls with bikinis and big sunglasses - some walking is the same direction as I am, some walking the other way. This struck me because I have commented to some people that for all the sun, I never see people outside tanning. When I arrive at the rec center, I realize that the outdoor lap pool also serves as the weekend social/sunnning fraternity/sorority area. There were tan people everywhere. And a few non-tanners swimming laps. So I jumped in and started swimming. Now, I was there after 3, which in other places is past peak sun time. Even when I left close to 4, there were still girls arriving.

The year-round sun and swimming here will be nice. But going to the pool will never be as fun or relaxing as going to Alabama's outdoor fun pool, complete with slide and lazy river, and of course fun anthropology girls.

On a side note, I predict my arms are going to be sore tomorrow.

2 comments:

Erica said...

I miss the pool too! WAH! I bet Sarah went 80 billion times this summer. We have a lap pool at Rollins where I teach but it is used for the same socializing/tanning so I don't go there. I do get to go to free yoga on Fridays though. I miss ya'll there too, plus the instructor is a man - definitely not Metka.

Sarah Marie said...

I did go to the pool a bunch this summer--and I may go today too! I am doing nothing but a) pooling, b) tailgating, and c) shopping this weekend. It won't be the same without you girls, though. Why does everyone I become friends with in Alabama leave me??? :) P.S. I'm going to call you both very soon.