Last night I attended a free showing of "The War Tapes" at the local independent/art film theater. I didn't know what to expect, but I was hoping to gain more of a sense of what is going on in Iraq than we get from the news. It was intense and raw, but not as intense as I thought it would be - perhaps because I am used to the war being portrayed in conjunction with or by a specific agenda.
The movie is a documentary made by 3 soldiers with cameras, with additional footage from back home from their families/friends. All the dialogue comes from the participants--it is not scripted, although to be fair it does have a director and is edited and put together in a specific way. But, I think it is really trying to put it out there for people to see, as first hand as possible, and make up their own minds. The main story is the experiences and feelings of these men from one group of national guard soldiers deployed for 16 months. There is humor, there is suspense, there is tragedy. Overall, I think everyone should see it - so find out if it playing near you and go.
Info about the film and a review from IMDB: http://imdb.com/title/tt0775566/
Wednesday, August 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Katie! I'm just now catching up on your blog... this movie sounds really interesting! I wish it was playing closer to me, but perhaps I can watch it once it comes out on DVD. :)
Hope you're enjoying school!
Post a Comment