Sunday, December 17, 2006

Whipped Shortbread [vegan, press] Cookies

This recipe came from the internet. In fact, it started with a search to see what other cookies the cookie press could be used for. And I found this recipe that I noticed had no eggs and only butter, for which I could easily substitute margarine and make them vegan-friendly.

So that is what I did. They turned out nicely (a big hit at the party, but I thought they were just okay - because I am partial to the other recipe). The flavoring of the recipe is vanilla but I added some almond just in case. Apparenly, I did not add enough. The reviews on the site with recipe say these "melt in your mouth" - I found them a little dry, but overall like sweet shortbread cookies. Next time I make these, I will use more and only almost flavoring.

Recipe
1 pound butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch salt
1/2 cup cornstarch
3 cups flour

Preheat oven to 350 F. Cream together butter, icing sugar, vanilla and
salt. Gradually add cornstarch and flour. Whip with an electric mixer
until fluffy. Place into a cookie press and press out cookies on cool
baking sheet. Decorate with candied cherries or dragees if desired.
Bake 12-15 minutes. Let cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet, then
remove to wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container
at room temperature.

"For more great recipes like this one, be sure to visit
http://www.christmas-cookies.com"

1 comment:

Erica said...

I made Xmas cookies today!