Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I am not yet convinced

The professor that taught theory this semester was quite proud of being a self-proclaimed sceptic of the "pyrrhonic" variety. When he didn't know how to respond to a student's statement, he would either ignore and move on or say "well I am sceptic, so I would say I am not yet convinced/persuaded."

For someone who claimed to be judgement-free, he made several definitive tangential or personal statements of his feelings and thoughts on the world. Mid-semester, I began recording his statements. Here is what I found while I was working on my final this evening. These represent just a few of the random or uncomfortable words of wisdom the professor had for us.

  • “Academics are basically silly”
  • “The U.S. is a B movie”
  • “If facts were ludicrous they would kill you”
  • “Intercourse is what it is all about…the first time until you get bored - if you orgasm sufficiently”
  • “S&M is probably creative”

*this is not meant to be mean but amusing. This comments added lightness to the class, and would get a smile/muffled giggle, "did he just say that" - followed by a sigh, "oh, tad. what will you say next."

No comments: