I think I am projecting my nostalgia for fall weather on current Tucson weather - or vice versa. The mornings have been "cool" (70!) with breezes, the air clear, the sky deep blue. The sun is rising later and setting earlier. Yep, traces of fall--especially if you throw in college football.
And if I close my eyes or catch just the right moment, I am connected to all of those other early fall moments I've had in Tennessee, Virginia, and Alabama.
I recognize that the signs and weather of fall in each of these places is distinct, but the experience of the transition is a continuity, a deep thread of familiar. I do not have a favorite season. But, my favorite times are those transition moments that transcend time and place. Season change is one of my favorite examples, with all of the associated memories: back to school and out of school; fall wind, about-to-snow air, spring breezes, summer humidity; holidays and special events.
Back in Tucson by mid-afternoon it is 90 and summer weather again. I have been told that there is no "fall" here. Instead, one day it is hot, and the next day it is cooler and stays cool until spring. My cubicle-mate said she associates this transition with Halloween. So, I have plenty more sunshine and heat to look forward to, with hints of fall to imagine and enjoy.
Tuesday, September 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dear Katie,
That was a beautiful description of the in-between times of life. I always say that I love the threshold of a warm house on a cold night. Alabama misses you! Come visit for Halloween!
Post a Comment