Saturday, September 23, 2006

Further reflection on football

I realize that some may not understand why I love college football so much - watching it, attending games, listening to it, reading about it, talking about it, etc. (And perhaps, why I talk about it so much on a blog about Arizona).

First, I will refer to a bumper sticker seen in Tennessee - "My Blood Runs Orange." It is a fact. If one has any association with the University of Tennessee, it is difficult to resist being swept up in the experience that is Saturdays in the fall - the collective consciousness, if you will. Even if you did not go there.

Another example: Many Southeastern Conference games are not televised. Although every SEC game has the potential to be a great match-up, many teams are not ranked. A feature of my childhood was listening to UT games on the Vol Radio Network. At that time, it was legendary John Ward. There is nothing like his announcer voice.

(A quote from an article about his retirement: The 1998-99 football and basketball seasons will be the last for longtime Voice of the Vols John Ward. He announced last summer that he would retire, along with his color commentator Bill Anderson. Ward's is the only voice that legions of Tennessee fans are willing or able to process in the context of a Vol athletic contest. When they watch Tennessee games on television, they mute the TV in favor of the Ward play-by-play. At games, they listen to Ward on their portable radios. In outposts not served by the Vol Network, they scan the radio dial for the static-riddled, but instantly recognizable sound of Ward's voice.) (Oh look what I found: a page where you can hear his classic calls and quotes: http://members.aol.com/ke4sdj/johnward.htm)

To some it might be unimaginable to listen to a football game - something so visually enjoyed - I guess that is why gifted announcer are so revered. Many football saturdays of my youth included these radio broadcasts - whether we were driving to the Smokeys to go camping or to Beersheba Springs, TN or at home, even when the game was on TV (as the above quote references). Much like my reflections on changing seasons, just hearing a UT broadcast transports me to a transcending time.

Being in Arizona, following games is more difficult (beyond watching the little ticker and animation on the ESPN.com scoreboard. Following many online avenues, watching or listening to the game requires payment. However, I was happy to discover that The Vol Network AM990/FM 99.1 can be heard online.

Listening to the games vs watching them on TV is better for productivity/doing homework)as well. Much to my dismay, the Vol Network is not currently available online. Following the ESPN scoreboard will have to suffice. And my neighbor is playing the guitar, so that makes nice background music.

p.s. I know we are only in the middle of saturday - but did anyone see Georgia almost lose? Too bad for Colorado (a regular member of the ESPN Bottom 10).

1 comment:

Erica said...

Go Vols. I understand you completely Katie, but I am from a state where the majority of the population's closest brush with college will be screaming for their Tigers on a Saturday night. It is truly cultural!