Thursday, September 21, 2006

happiness in a bottle and FOOTBALL week 4

Today I discovered that the 7-11 across the street from my house carries my favorite bottled tea, Honest Tea (and for cheaper than Wild Oats, which I have to drive to). I know where I will be making a weekly pit stop.

Now, let's talk football.

First up: #3 USC at Arziona. Let me repeat, the #3 team, USC, 2005 national championship contender, is coming to Tucson this Saturday (8pm ET on ABC). Now, would you know that from the mood on campus this week leading up to the game? ...go ahead, guess... No - in fact, I saw very few ZonaZoo shirts or any other type of school spirit display. Sure, Arizona doesn't have a chance - but how often do you get to host the national champion runner-up. I did hear one sorority girl on the cellphone talking about how she had a ticket and was thinking about going because it will be fun. That's the spirit! Also, to give more credit to Arizona, I think I forgot to mention that I saw two RVs in a lot near campus during opening weekend. Way to go, dedicated fans. You'll never be Alabama, but it was a nice sight for sore eyes.

Games I will be following this weekend:

Marshall at #15 Tennessee This won't be televised, so I will be watching on ESPN's online game tracker, which, if you haven't seen it, is rather anti-climatic. Fun fact: NFL quarterback Chad Pennington played at Marshall. Before that, he played at my high school. His dad was a coach, his mom was an english teacher. - Okay, maybe that is only a fun fact to me. Part of Tennessee Pride is knowing who is from TN and where they go. In case you don't know, other Tennessee (state or University) alums: Kenny Chesney and Peyton Manning (the only ones that come to mind right now). Back to college football: Go Vols! ESPN called your first game against Cal extraordinary, and the last two efforts just ordinary. Let's give them something to rave about this week.

Kentucky vs #7 Florida -- Hey, sometimes Kentucky puts up a fight. Maybe miracles happen and maybe one will happen this Saturday in the Swamp. Not holding my breath. This one will be on ESPN (7:45ET)

UVA is currently playing Georgia Tech at GT on ESPN. Georgia Tech is winning. Although neither team is ranked, GT seems to be in control. Of course, I am going for Virginia - and if I were there I would be singing "send the yellow jackets to a watery grave" -- until I was able to sing the Good Ol' Song. Just now I realized how much I miss the shared joy, physical and emotional: putting your arms over your neighbors's shoulder, rocking back and forth, and singing "That Good Old Song of Wa-hoo-wah we'll sing it o're and o're. It cheers out hearts and warms our blood to hear them shout and roar. We come from Old Virginia, where all is bright and gay. Let's all join hands and give a yell for the dear old UVA"

Snapping back from that bit of nostalgia-- Alabama (ranked #22 on the USA Today poll) will be at Arkansas (on CBS 3:30ET, but probably regionally, and I don't get the local channels-only cable-if it gets interesting, that might mean finding a sports bar in the early afternoon). Arkansas is coming off of two wins from two not impressive teams - but a big loss against USC at home. So they may be looking to prove they are worthy. ROLL TIDE!!!

(Side note, the karaoke that I was coerced into last weekend (but secretly enjoyed) included Rocky Top and Sweet Home Alabama, with "Roll Tide Roll" during the refrain")

Happy Football watching and Happy Weekends to all! Please comment if you have any feelings about football or tea or Arizona. The weather is beautiful - wish you were here.

2 comments:

Sarah Marie said...

Hey if anthropology doesn't work out, maybe you could work for ESPN. You could be the chic and fashionable SEC commentator.

How is school going? :)

Katie said...

Yeah, but during college football games, females just get to be the sidelines girls. And I would be very biased - maybe even more than some of the current commentators.

So far, school is good, so no need to sned out resumes yet.