I "do" very little at work. People ask what I do, and I try to make it
sound as impressive (and worthy of 20 hours a week) as possible. My 20
hours are not filled with work-work only. Sitting at a desk with a
computer in a cubicle allows space and time for school-work or any and
all distractions of the internet. Compared to my previous "real" job
or even compared to other graduate assistant positions people have, I
know that I am asked to and do little - which I appreciate. But, I do
have tasks and assignments and things to keep my busy - at a
non-strenuous pace.
One day this week at work I organized my drawers. For an actual work
task, I got pretty colored hanging folders and file folders to
organize grant opportuntities/requests for proposals our Council could
apply to (which is part of one my tasks: helping facilitate/organize a
statewide council to address rural women's health issues in AZ). The
boxes of folders have been sitting on my desk since before the
holidays, unopened. New semester, new organization. Plus I was feeling
especially task-less that morning.
Then it occurred to me that people keep filing cabinets in order to
feel busy and important. My drawer has 10+ hanging folders full of
papers sorted for different topics and tasks - as if to be visible
evidence of all of the work I did last semester. Yes, see, I did
something.
And this principle also applies to books. I did not move across the
country with much, but the biggest proportion of my items was books -
which are now overflowing on the ceiling high bookshelf in my room and
scattered about the floor. See, look at how much I have read and how
important and academic I am.
(Although it also occurs to me that my cluttered/keep everything
nature might take away some of the professional/academic-ness --
partly because you do not notice the books, for example, behind all of
the other stuff).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment