And about to eat some black-eyed peas. I forgot how much I love the taste of black-eyed peas. For those who might not know, if one eats black-eyed peas on New Years, it provides luck in the new year (and one eats greens for green ($)). Read all about it at Wikipedia. This New Years tradition goes back to my earlier childhood new years memories. Traditionally, we would eat it in Hoppin' John -- however, the past few years, I have been making a more salad/salsa-y dish (with corn, feta, tomato/bell peppers, onion, garlic, etc).
Today I picked up dry black-eyed peas from Sunflower (my first dry bulk purchase). Following the quick cook directions for dry beans, I think they got a little overdone. But, I am exceedingly excited anticipating the final product [currently in progress]. I also am feeling relieved already having eaten bites here and there along the preparation process and hope it is enough to ward off bad luck. (Information on black-eyed peas -preparation and nutrition- from the USDA.)
Today was beautiful in Tucson, which I heard is how it has been most of the time I was away. Sunny, clear, and upper 60s -- instant mood booster. I wish I could bottle and ship it to those in other places of the world - but as that is not possible, and continuing to go on and on about how beautiful it is here rubs it in, please feel free to visit and experience it for yourself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment