Sunday, January 21, 2007

SNOW!

Update 2: 7am and snow and frost are covering cars and roofs. 8am is usually the coldest part of the day and it is just below freezing right now. The memories of east coast snow come back to me: it is lovely and fun on the first day, but grows annoying and inconvenient when you have to go to work/school. In my case, I need to drive to drop off the volunteer cellphone this morning and then walk to work/school. If only I hadn't -so reasonably- left my ice scraper behind in VA to use every inch of room in my trunk when moving. Oh well, I am quite familir with the use-a-card-from-the-wallet method. At least I have gloves (and my favorite tobaggan).


Update: The snow actually did start sticking, although it has stopped now and seems to have melted. Here are pictures from Julie. And some from Heather (posted here and via link), who I called immediately when it started snowing so she could capture it for me, as she is queen of photographic documentation.






















5:25pm - Current weather:

38.5
°F
/ 3.6 °C
Light Snow Mist
Observed at: Midtown, Tucson, Arizona
Elevation: 2600 ft / 792 m


That's right. It's snowing in Tucson. Well, right now it is mostly rain, with a few big wet flakes mixed in, and of course it isn't sticking. But it counts as snow!

Here is the forecast for the rest of the night (side note: I didn't realize Midtown Tucson was 2600ft):
"Snow Advisory now in effect until 5 PM MST Monday for eastern Pima County above 2500 feet... areas of rain and snow will move over the Metro area from the west. Expect rain and snow in the valleys and moderate to heavy snow in the higher elevations. Rainfall will be around a quarter of an inch while snow...mainly above 3000 feet...will accumulate an inch or more. The accumulation snow level may fall as low as 2500 feet this evening...affecting the Tucson Metro area. Expect visibilities to be reduced in the heavier precipitation bands that move across Route 77...from Tucson...north to Oracle. Persons should use extreme caution as winter driving conditions may exists throughout eastern and central Pima County."

1 comment:

Erica said...

Wah! I am v. jealous of all of your fun snow. IT poured down rain here today and the low tonight will be all the way down in the 50's - ooh.