Monday, January 15, 2007

Cali

The second half of winter break I was in the Bay Area. Since Kris had to work but since Google is paying for a rental car while he is there, I was able to get around during the day. While the CalTrain does stop in Mountain View, it is a long trip for what is a quick drive. One day I drove to the furtherest out Metro, I mean, Bart Station, and Barted in. (The Bart was modelled after the Metro in DC, thus felt very familiar). The station is right off the highway, the parking is free, and in 30 minutes you can be in downtown - which I much preferred to driving all the way in, navigating alone, and finding and paying for parking. Another day I drove up to Travis Air Force base to visit my high school friend Kris, her precious 10 month old and most adorable baby girl ever, and her husband, just back from Iraq.

Other Bay Area highlights: New Years Eve was spent in downtown San Fran. We managed to find a lowkey (relatively for NYE) place to ring in midnight. We also drove over and around the Golden Gate Bridge, saw the ocean, had lunch in Sausalito, and had dinner in Half Moon Bay. Mountain View itself was cute - mostly suburban, with tree- and sidewalk-lined streets, and its fair share of strip malls. They do have a nice downtown "main street" area that offers restaurants and bars, a performing arts center, and shops. We also picked up Sissy from the airport and drove her to Oakland - which meant a trip to Fenton's for ice cream sundaes.

A final highlight of California was visiting In-n-Out. After a tip from Lisa, I searched online for the secret ordering menu. I had a grilled cheese add pickles, and fries animal style. We went to one right off the highway on a beautiful Sunday afternoon - bad choice. It was crazy busy (standing room only inside, line wrapped around the interior; parking full outside, drivethru wrapped around the building), but decently efficient. I agree with Kris that it is really good - but not the most amazing food ever. For many, I guess, it is about the experience.


Driving through San Fran














A DC-ish building














They have a lot going on in their State Seal
















Requisite Bridge Pictures


































In Sausalito















2 comments:

Erica said...

Ooh fun! I want to go to SF one day. Do you read Nothing But Bonfires' blog? She just moved to SF and had a big post on grilled cheese the other day.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I especially love the one of Kris staring down at his soaked jeans. Very cute.