Thursday, January 18, 2007

Tennessee - from the air


While I was in Knoxville, I had the opportunity to fly in a plane with a high school friend and recent recipient of his private pilot's license, Brandon. Actually it was an open invitation, which John and I accepted - with varying degrees of trepidation (John - little trepidation, my mom - great trepidation).

Brandon reserved a plane for a 2 hour block. Our route took us east and a little south, past Douglas Lake, over Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, turning around at the edge of the Smoky Mountains. Then we flew over downtown, the UT campus, and along I-40, turning around at Papermill to return to Island Home Airport.

Our height ranged from 1500 to 4500 ft and our speed was about 120 mph. It was a perfect afternoon: clear with no wind. Since it was a winter afternoon, there were plenty of long shadows and the light was perfect for a photo shoot on the ground before we took off. (I am sparing you the many, many pictures of John being a model). (Click on pics to see full size)

Pre-take off - on the ground - there's our plane










































(example of model pic)



















Take-off
- in the air




























East Tennessee










































Smoky Mountains




























Downtown
- Tennessee River (artful shot from John)














Downtown




























The World's Fair Park and the Sunsphere (aka disco ball)














The sprawl














UT - Football stadium














Ag campus














Whew - the end our our adventure - about to land

2 comments:

Erica said...

Wow. I covet this experience! Beautiful pics. I will try to remember to book John if I ever need an aviator look-alike.

Sarah said...

oh, do I miss those mountains!!!