Thursday, November 30, 2006

30.9 degrees

That is the current outside temperature. We turned the heat on last night. I got out an extra blanket. Today I am going to wear a sweater and a wool coat. Oh glorious fall. It went from 10 degrees above normal last week (high 75, low 55) to 10 degrees below normal this week (high 55, low 30).

55? you say, that is nothing. Well, it just happened so suddenly - and with so much wind. Yesterday was, dare I say, blustery. So much so that the air on the horizons (where the desert/dirt is) was cloudy and the usual clear mountains were almost invisible.


I also think below-freezing justifies wearing my favorite toboggan* from childhood. (in the background you can see a comforter from childhood as well).



*Based on informal surveys with a few particpants, I have determined that "toboggan" refers to a type of sled AND a snow hat in the south but just a sled in other parts of the country. According to Wikipedia, people in the U.S. do sometimes call a snow hat a toboggan ("In the United States, this type of hat is more commonly referred to by other names: knit hat or knit cap, sock cap or stocking cap, watch cap, toboggan, skull cap or sometimes as a ski cap"). See, so I am not just making up a name for the hat, certain disbelievers.

3 comments:

Sarah Marie said...

Awww, seeing that hat just made me miss you a whole bunch! Not that you wore it alot in Alabama, but still! :)

Katie said...

I miss you and Alabama. Today, the hourly forecast said that the humidity at 2pm would be -1%. Negative humidity?!? What does that even mean? I think the effect is that my hands my been craving lotion constantly the past week.

Sarah Marie said...

Well, why don't you come visit and we'll start a fire and watch a movie with blankets and lots of buttery popcorn??? And cats! :)

I got two bottles of lotion from the Body Shop and they actually make my hands drier! Such a waste, since one smells like Autumn apples and is sparkly.