Tuesday, November 14, 2006

From PHX - complaint department

The Phoenix airport sucks. Maybe that is unfair. But let's see.

-As I was told, it is huge. However, there is no convenient system for getting from terminal to terminal - except going outside of the airport and getting on ground transportation and switching to another bus and then arriving at another terminal.

-There are no maps, no signs to alert one to the size -- even just within one terminal (ie the US airways and Southwest terminal which I flew into, which had 4 concourses but no map and no screens with info about flights other than US airways or southwest).

-From the first two points, I can say that I would not have made it from my arrival terminal to my departure terminal without Kris pulling up the PHX website while on the phone with me and telling me I needed to take a bus to another terminal. Even then, there were no signs that said "buses to other terminals" or maps. But, there are *volunteers* in purple vests who do have maps who can point you in the direction you need to go. I saw several of these people. Yes, they were helpful but maybe you have a problem when you need so many people (enough to provide a volunteer opportunity for the elderly) to get patrons around. And you could just put up a big map for people to consult on their own.

-Many people might not have to deal with this terminal navigation business. But since I used orbitz, I switched from USair to United which are in different terminals. I hope I have a decent layover on my return.

-On a positive note, they do provide free wireless which is nice since my plane is delayed.

So I am on my way to San Fran/Oakland/San Jose to attend the American Anthropological Association annual meeting/see my sister.

There will be (positive) pictures and stories.

I am going to this session on Thursday:
8:00 AM–11:45 AM
CRITICAL INTERSECTIONS/DANGEROUS ISSUES: ANTHROPOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVES ON SEXUAL
VIOLENCE AND BODILY HEALTH
Organizer(s) Judith L Singleton and Lea S McChesney Chair(s) Lea S McChesney
Participant(s) Christiana Croegaert, Soheila Vahdati, Annapurna D Pandey, Jelke Boesten, Judith L Singleton, Karen C Flynn, Maggie Zraly, Lindsay A Smith, Lea S McChesney, Charlotte A Haney-Mueller
Discussant(s) Peggy R Sanday, Madelaine B
Adelman, Louise Lamphere

No comments: