Monday, May 21, 2007

Roadtrip

This summer I will bring my east - west road trips up to 4.

I have highlighted this map to illustrate:


















Red = Nashvile to San Francisco via Boulder with Sissy in June 2006 (pictures from our trip)
Orange = Northern Virginia to Tucson via Austin in July 2006 with John (pictures)
Green = Tucson to Knoxville via Memphis to see Malinda (and a food break in Nashville to see Laura) May 2007
Yellow = Mobile back to Tucson end of July 2007
This adds up to (2300 + 2200 + 1800 + 1500) 7800 miles - although only 5500 of those miles were in my car. Relative to how much I drove for my job in Virginia, 5500 is not bad, when I could drive that much in 2 months. Driving in Tucson, however, has spoiled me. Kris got my oil changed in December, and I just got in changed today and had only gone 2000 miles. Getting to the date before the mileage reminder was a first.

More driving: I will be driving from Knoxville to Florida (for Sarah G's wedding - yay!) and then on to Mobile for 8 weeks. Being in Mobile will include trip(s) to Tuscaloosa and a trip over to Atlanta. This summer = lots of quality time in the South and in my car.

The main reason for being in Alabama, though, is work. I will be interviewing teens as part of the Mobile Youth Survey, a 10 year longitudinal study looking at poverty and youth risk behavior.

The adventure (and extended roadtrip) starts Thursday.

5 comments:

Erica said...

Where will you be in FL? I know I should see you in T-town in a few weeks but couldn't help wondering about the FL comment!

Katie said...

Destin. My college roommate is getting married on the beach in the Sandestin resort. It is a barefoot ceremony - and no children under 16 are allowed. It is going to be fun.

If you are in Pensacola, I also would love to see you there (and meet this new man).

Sarah Marie said...

YAY for coming to Alabama! Katie, my red car misses your blue car. They are toyota sisters...under the hood anyway. I've got the trashy Chevy exterior with the goods underneath. And I'm ok with that.

Have a blast at the wedding!

Anonymous said...

Yea!! I am so excited to see you soon in Memphis!

Sarah said...

I just plotted my trip east on Google Earth and I highly recommend it. It's -- literally -- astronomical to look at your trip across the US from space. I'll post to my blog soon, but I highly recommend it for yours too :)