Thursday, May 10, 2007

really?!?


This week, for my final public health class for the semester, I took Little Debbie Fudge Rounds to share (very healthy I know). Two girls said: oh what are those? My reply, with disbelief: um, fudge rounds? little debbie? Their reply: yes, we know little debbie. we have never seen those. maybe it is a southern thing [not meant to be mean - but in reference to previous week's conversation].

Even better: The previous week, I took chocolate-covered pretzels to share in my public health class. With great suspicion, the girls said: what are those?

First, let me offer a visual reference:














As Kris noted, when I relayed the story to him, even if you have never seen this item before, based on powers of deduction -even without the context that I had brought them for a snack- you could assume - a) it looks like chocolate, and b) it is in the shape of a small pretzel. Chocolate + Pretzel = ?

Back to class, I explained they were chocolate covered pretzels. Blank stares. I encouraged them to try it. After a moment of thinking it over, one girl very hesistantly reached into the bag and took one. The other girl said: I'm scared. The brave one paused and then took another. With my own disbelief, I asked: really you have never seen these before? And they said no.

The only thing I could think of was that possibly people in the South like sweets and salty + sweet more (such as, sweet potato casserole). But, really??

4 comments:

Erica said...

Dang. Too bad there are no classes yet b/c you could've brought in molasses covered boll weevils and told them we eat those too to see if they'd eat them.

Anonymous said...

omg, you just made me laugh so hard i snorted. what got me was the "based on powers of deduction" bit. man, people are not kidding about those ph students...

Anonymous said...

Honestly.... who are these people? I'm really all set. J.

Sarah Marie said...

When you said "girls" I imagined like middle or high schoolers. But you're talking about your classmates, aren't you?

When are you coming to Alabama???