Friday, September 28, 2007

Football by request

Sarah Sz asks: "So what's your round-up of last weekend's games?" This makes me feel special and here I will give a brief rundown of my thoughts about last week's college football happenings.


Last weekend, I did not get to watch many games. I was, however, very mindful of scores.

-Let's talk about Bama-Georgia. I did see the beginning and overtime of this game. One ESPN commenter predicted in the pre-season that Bama would lose to Georgia and beat Auburn. After a slow start, Bama put up a good fight against Georgia. This says good things about this season and seasons to come. I know an almost-win means nothing, but I expect faith in the Saban-nation is still as strong as ever.

-Tennessee beat Arkansas State and Phil Fulmer got to keep his job for another week (or two, since it is an off week). Who knows, maybe Tennessee can pull off a win against UGA...

-Arizona, predictably, lost to Cal. They did put up points though (27, almost as many as Tennessee).

-After close games with UNC and Duke, Virginia managed a win against Georgia Tech. I guess Groh gets to keep his job for a while, too. (But seriously, Virginia, close games with UNC and Duke?!? Maybe you consider going back to football as a reason to wear sundresses and tailgate.)

-Kentucky said, yeah we deserve to be here - with a big win over Arkansas, who the week before had a loss that was important to Alabama.

-Mississippi said, hey don't discount us. After a win against Auburn, Mississippi had an admirable showing against FL (and isn't it sad if Ole Miss is the only SEC-east contender against Florida in a season).

Future thoughts: Perhaps in week 5, Old Miss will beat Georgia (could happen) and Auburn will beat Florida (unlikely). ESPN also is talking about the showdown between FSU and Bama.

Looking ahead to Week 6, we have UT-UGA, Kentucky vs South Carolina, and LSU-Florida. Prediction: I better get ahead with my school work because I will be glued to the TV/computer that day.

Happy Football Watching.

3 comments:

Erica said...

I think you forgot one team.

Katie said...

I wasn't watching LSU - although I did see the definitive win over VaTech, and the important win over South Carolina.

What can be said about LSU? The ranking debate continues - it would be interesting to see what happens if USC and LSU played today. I think LSU is stronger than Florida, one because I hate Florida, but two because they seem less cocky and they have a stronger defense. Look at how many points teams have put up against Florida. The game next week is sure to be excellent.

Erica said...

Well now we know you may be right since Auburn beat UF last night! Although that means vindictiveness against us next week.