Welcome to the start of my favorite season of the year: college football.
This weekend, I have the good fortune of attending the UT-Cal game in Berkeley, Saturday 8pm ET.
Reasons you too should watch this game:
1. It's the only -ONLY- ranked match-up of opening weekend.
2. Cal will be out for revenge after last year's upset. Tennessee will be looking to prove itself on Cal's home terf.
3. It on ABC (8pm ET). Maybe you will see me.
4. To hear Rocky Top.
5. Because of this email forward I received after last year's game:-------------------------------------------------------------------2 posts from
Cal fans, post game.
The second selection was in the paper from one of their sports writers.
Only a west coast lib weenie would have issues with pre-game prayer (instead of focusing on the game):
>Myself and the crowd I was with were extremely uncomfortable with the prayer. None of us are Christians, and we came to watch a football game, not to have the announcer tell us to stand and take our hats off for a prayer. The hypocrisy of having 100,000 bourbon soaked football crazed loud mouths invoke the almighty is beyond me. Is Christianity the official religion of UT**? We sat during the prayer, and this made us the recipients of many disapproving Vol glares. I would never tell someone not to pray, or believe what they want to believe, but having a prayer at a public event has a coercive effect that puts those who choose not to participate in an awkward light. Participate in something I don't believe, or be the recipient of frowns. I came to watch football (yes, to watch my team get trashed), not to be subject to anyone's beliefs. Though everything else was wonderful in Knoxville, the prayer was not.
>Unfortunately for Bear backers, this one was a blowout from the beginning as the Vols rolled over the Bears, 35-18, to the great delight of over 100,000 orange-clad Ricky Bobbies*** and their husbands/second cousins.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
**If only they knew - college football is the official religion of the South. Silly Californians.
*** Ha "Ricky Bobbies" - points for being clever. "Husbands/second cousins", however, is old and over-used.
More football thoughts, previews, etc to come.
2 comments:
LSU foobaa starts today! I am clad head to toe in purple and gold (actually yellow).
hahaha...I love that Californian sense of humor...they're from TN so obviously they all must be related and have dumb names. I'd like to see someone come up with original ways to insult us-then maybe I would be offended and not just laugh at how inane it is to repeat the same joke and call it funny. also, how can you truly be offended to have to sit through a 1 minute prayer. I mean it is a football game so it is not like the average prayer at your local Baptist church (ie 5-10 mins). get over it people. I am very excited about this weekend's game. I hope to be watching it at Calhoun's-I'm driving home for the weekend again (so call me and update me when you get the chance!)
Post a Comment