Friday, April 11, 2008

Tucson's vision

Today I heard the mayor of Tucson speak at the MPH internship conference. He seemed very competent and he supports community health and wellness as a core value, including violence prevention. What I was most struck by, however, was Tucson's vision statement, which he created since he's been in office (6 years):

Vision: "Our natural and cultural environment and the coordinated efforts of our beautifully diverse community will enable the Tucson region to become a recognized leader in the emerging knowledge-based, global society offering a high quality of life and place for all of its people."

I put this on the board in my section today to see if anyone had any comments - because I thought the quote illustrates the connections between the local and global, which is what the class is about (kind of). I guess it didn't resonate with most people to the point of being compelled to share, but one student pointed out that he thought the mayor should focusing on helping Tucson before going out and trying to be a leader in the world. Good point.

No comments: