Wednesday, April 02, 2008

"southern style"

What follows is photo documentation of a food experiment.

In the pasta and grain area of Trader Joe's I spied this item on the bottom shelf, picked up and squeezed it, and put it in my basket. I had to know: what happens when Trader Joe's makes pre-cooked, shelf-stable southern style grits.












Here is how the product as described by TJ (click to enlarge). I especially enjoy "Grits are a comfort food staple" and "you can enjoy homestyle grits anytime". I don't know about you, but discs sliced from a strange tube of grits packaged with a bit of liquid for preservation is not how grits are served in southern homes or at a good southern diner.










On a morning that I didn't feel like cereal, I pulled the grits out with a mix of fear and anticipation. Many people, even from the south, do not enjoy the mouthfeel of grits. This was the aspect I was most curious about. I cut two slices (slightly larger than the 1/2 inch serving measure - two 1/2 inch slices = 50 calories).














The instructions simply say to microwave for about a minute. Imaging this would lead to uneven heating, I decided to cut the discs into pieces.














I took them out after 45 seconds. Stirred. And was pretty impressed with how they looked.














A little taste revealed little flavor. I planned on cheese grits so this was okay. The final results:
1) Overall standard mouth-feel for grits: a little textured, a little squishy. They were a little dry in the way that most grits I've had are served saturated with butter and slightly congealed (which I think adds to charm).
2) Anything tastes yummy with a sprinkle of cheese and a dash of pepper and garlic salt.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look gross and I wish you wouldn't talk about mouthfeel! I pretend that word doesn't exist.

Katie said...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mouthfeel
"the sensation created by food or drink in the mouth"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouthfeel
"It is evaluated from initial perception on the palate, to first bite, through mastication to swallowing."

Erica said...

Grits in a tube - who knew?
I love that Trader Joe's did this. Mouthfeel is a grody word and it hurts, can you just say MF instead? (he he)

Sarah Marie said...

That's my kind of "sprinkle" of cheese! I like to make my own grits (with lots of cheese), since the fake butter in the diners does not appeal to my mouthfeel.