Friday, July 06, 2007

More fun in Mobile

For the 4th, Colleen and mom drove down for a short visit. It was just enough time to see all that Mobile has to offer. We had dinner at the well established Wintzell's Oyster House. On Wednesday, we visited Bellingrath Gardens and Home just south of Mobile. We drove a little ways more to Dauphin Island and saw the ocean, but it began to storm, so we turned around and came back to Mobile. We stopped at the Mobile Museum Art (making use of the southeast reciprocal membership the Knoxville Museum of Art offers) which has a lovely collection of painting, photography, and glass from the 20th century and from the southeast. We went down Dauphin St to see the old houses (Heather provided a nice printout of places to see but we drove and didn't walk). Dinner was at Picklefish, a popular LoDa place for pizza - and very yummy. Thursday they left.

































"LoDa" - or, lower Dauphin St




























Colleen stayed with me in the dorm - we tried to get people to play Set, "the family game of visual perception", with us, but people were more interested in - and she and I discovered the fun of - Apples to Apples (which, I acknowledge, Sarah in Tuscaloosa told me about a while ago. If only I had gotten with the program sooner - what a fun game. I won all 3 rounds we played). Word games that incorporate humor and irony definitely trump math pattern games. I am now addicted. -- While we were waiting for people to come place with us, Colleen and I arranged the Set cards in the most pleasing order to us - color, number, shading, shape - yes, we are nerds. Here is the end result:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww, i love these updates. thanks for documenting my hometown so beautifully :)

Erica said...

Nerd alert! Love it - that game is fun.