Sarah from Tuscaloosa came down this weekend. Saturday we stopped at the farmer's market on the way to the beach and enjoyed coconut scones and strawberry iced tea. We continued on to Perdido Key, and despite some lingering rain showers, by the time we arrive the rain had stopped. After a lunch featuring more farmer's market items (caramelized onion and rosemary goat cheese spread and hummus made from cannellini beans), we set ourselves up on the beach. The thin cloud cover and breeze made it a perfect temperature. The sun came out for a while and we even played in the waves. When the rain clouds started to move again we packed up and left, stopping at
Erica's mom's house on the way out were we got to see her parents, her dog, and her mom's paintings (which were very cool and even cooler because her mom just started painting 6 months ago). The day was capped off by dinner at Wintzell's, "a gulf coast tradition since 1938" (check out
their website which offers sayings and advice posted all over the walls in the restaurant. Some don't make much sense-just ask Sarah-but perhaps they made more sense 70 years ago). We had fried pickles and seafood -- m'm mmm.
Rain and clouds did not deter us. Optimism and patience paid off (the other group that went to the beach on Saturday tried Gulf Shores and Perdido Key but turned around and went back to Mobile because it was raining. Sarah and I got 3-4 good hours of beach time in).

Yay! We are in Florida at the beach!

Picnic pavilions, perfect for eating lunch and waiting for clouds to clear

Some of Erica's mom's paintings

Erica's puppy, Kai - (
here you can hear her telling Kai to "sit pretty" in a lovely Southern accent ;) ). Also fun about stopping to see Erica's mom and puppy in Florida is that Erica was driving through Arizona and passing through Tucson when we called her. I will be following the same route in less than 2 weeks.

Making friends with Kai - can I has kisses pleez?

3 comments:
I have fully adopted Erica's muppet mouth pose.
I can has kisses? Pure genius!
I had a great time with you this weekend! Have fun in NOLA and have a safe drive back west!
yum, fried pickles!! I love those.
My Doodlebug! I miss him! Thanks for posting pics ya'll!
Post a Comment