Thursday, June 07, 2007

RW: Mobile [mo - beal]

This is the true story, of 20+ strangers, picked to participate in a summer internship project, live in a dorm, and work in low income neighborhoods. Find out what happens where people stop being polite and start getting real...

--Someone joked last night that all of us living in the dorm (which is shared with other groups, right now it is a Baptist summer service program) was like The Real World. Partly, because the other group has taken over the fridge and there is zero room for anything else. Also because people are talking about renting a house at the beach one weekend (like how the RW folks get to go on a glamorous vacation somewhere, except Orange Beach isn't quite Fiji).

So far, I do not have a roommate. There are 4 or 5 of us who are supposed to have roommates but do not yet. However, 3 more people are supposed to be arriving.

Mom said she was reading about Mobile and told me it was about the same size as Knoxville, which I didn't know. So far, I haven't seen too much. We went to dinner in the historic part of downtown, on Dauphin St. [Sidenote - every time I see or say "Dauphin" I think of the recent movie Marie Antionette]. A group of people have been checking out the different beaches every weekend, which I am looking forward to joining.

This week is training for the new people and we will start going out to do recruitment of participants and adminstration of surveys (the two main job functions) Monday. More to report then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, but do the locals call it dough-fan or dol-fin or daw-fin? Curious as to the local pronunciation (cf: Versailles, KY).
I obviously appreciate any Marie Antoinette reference.

Anonymous said...

awesome. i love these updates on my hometown. and for the record, blog readers, it's pronounced "daw-fin".