Mobile is near but not on the beach. However, in my book, being an hour and a half drive away from the beach is good enough. After gathing supplies - a cooler, ice packs, sun chips, and twizzlers (yes, my 4th trip to walmart in 6 days) - I was off to Perdido Key, FL. We used to take family vacations to Perdido Key and my dad lived in Pensacola for a while as a kid so it is a favorite area of mine. Compared to Orange Beach, AL and Panama City, it is pretty quiet and tame--at least that is how I remembered it. There between Pensacola and Orange Beach is Perdido Key State Park, which means some of the beach front is preserved.Years ago there was little in the areas around the park. The last time I was there was summer 2002 when Colleen came with me to Alabama and still there wasn't much new development on the beach. I was quite surprised to drive over the bridge and see 7 tall and looming condo buildings next to the place we used to stay. I went further down to the state park, and it was pretty quiet and empty on the beach. All in all, it was a great way to spend a Sunday - an easy drive to a relaxing day at the beach.
Where we used to stay is on the left. New condo tower almost on top of it on the right.

More new condos.

In other news, my roommate for the summer did not show, so I have the double room to myself. This means visitors can sleep on a bed and not floor.
3 comments:
You can count on me to fill that vacant bed, only if you promise we can go to the beach!
See you on Friday!
dude, if that's a serious offer, i just may grab a few winks on my way back to the Tucson. how late are you staying in August. and also, thanks for the great card. i love it!
Heather - I am leaving July 27 and will be back in Tucson by Aug 1. But, I would love to come see you - maybe June 29 weekend.
Post a Comment