Thursday, March 29, 2007

Spring Break part 2: Big Sky, Montana

The adventure starts in Mountain View
I took the Caltrain to the San Jose airport. Taking the train makes me feel special.














From the train station in Santa Clara, there is a free bus to the airport. This bus has many rules, which I thought were very well illustrated. (click on picture for close-up)















Montana

Montana does not have an open container law (or does?). We learned this when we picked up Kris at the airport and he got in the car with a beer. His parents and I got there early so we went to get groceries. When Kris arrived, he stopped by the airport bar - then we called and said we were on our way back to get him. So the bartender said: let me get you a to-go cup. A to-go cup for beer! To further make the most of the being able to have open containers - Kris insisted we open beer in the car for our hour drive to Big Sky. We did not have a bottle opener but that did not stop Kris. See progression below. Amazingly, beer did not spray everywhere when he tried, for 20 minutes, to open one bottle with another. Lesson: If you are dilligent, keys can open beer bottles.

























































Lone Peak at Big Sky - it was cloudy the first afternoon, but beautiful and sunny most of the rest of the time. The double black diamond slopes, which Kris did, are on the back side of the peak.
























































This is a view from outside of the house we stayed in. As you can see, there isn't a lot of snow - skiing was not the greatest.















Things to do besides skiing:
Musuem of the Rockies in Bozeman, MT - on MSU campus. Once upon a time, there were dinasaurs in Montana!














The west entrance of Yellowstone, which we did not get to drive in to because it was closed, in West Yellowstone, MT. We did watch a movie about Yellowstone at the IMAX there, and according to the wesbite, "you haven't experienced Yellowstone until you've seen 'Yellowstone'".














Yeah, there wasn't much to do besides ski - which meant plenty of relaxation time for non-skiers, like me.

Goodbye, Montana
View from the airport - notice the big sky

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous...I have wanted to go to Montana for the longest time-it's gorgeous. My friend Jackie (I went to school with her at Mizzou) went to college in Bozeman and said it was a fun little town. I take it that it wasn't THAT fun!