Friday, May 02, 2008

the language of youth today

I recently read about how students are using IM/text speech in their school work. Movies like "Juno" and "Superbad" can give anyone not in a high school a quick lesson in the current trendy words and phrases.

Today was the last discussion section and my students have had some good insights and comments throughout the semester. I am going to miss grading my students' weekly essays because of the occasional bits of humor and the view into their thinking and speech patterns. Take, for example, this from a student who is a quick thinker and cleverly challenges ideas from class with subtle irony.
"William Jennings Bryan was a three time presidential candidate an advisor to presidents a crusader for womens rights, and a defender of the Bible. In basic terms, he was pretty much a big deal."

On the other hand, I will not miss reading answers that reference Wikipedia.

2 comments:

riddlebiddle said...

that's awesome. too bad he can't punctuate though...

Sarah Marie said...

Katie, how did your end of the semester go???