Tuesday, December 09, 2008

the season has started

The end-of-the-semester/
finals/
cookie-making season, that is.

The first thing I have made is not a cookie - but an easy, tasty, and festive treat. The recipe is everywhere (my mom sent it to me from a magazine). Here is what you need: a bag of dark chocolate chips, a bag of white chocolate chips, (I used Ghirardelli) and candy canes. 


1. First, crush the candy canes.
I got the mini-candy canes, which made crushing them easy. I smashed them in their little bags with the bottom of a bowl. 

2. Put a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and make sure you have room in your freezer for a cookie sheet.

3. Melt dark chocolate in a bowl over a little boiling water (double boiler). Water should not touch the bowl. When melted, spread over the parchment paper to desired thickness. Put sheet in freezer for 20 minutes until hardened.

4. Melt white chocolate the same way. Spread over dark chocolate and then sprinkle and press in the candy cane pieces. Back in the freezer to harden.

5. Break in to pieces and impress people. 

Note: For mine, I think I should have let the white chocolate melt more or get hotter because it was a thicker consistency. It started mixing with the dark chocolate a little as I tried to spread it, but it also started hardening on the edges where it was spread thin. Then, it was hard to make the candy cane pieces stick in the white chocolate.  
(in this picture, the candy cane is not actually stuck to the chocolate--it is for demonstration purposes)

No comments: