I have heard this adverb twice now used in contexts that sound odd to me - using "barely" to describe the state of something just happening or just have happened.
Example: After landing at PHX while taxi-ing to the gate, a girl sitting behind me called the person who was coming to pick her up and she said multiple times, "I barely landed, I barely landed" and then "we are barely to the gate." Then, on the bus, I heard a woman say something like we barely left or I am barely on the bus (I don't remember exactly what she said).
Perhaps it is an Arizona but in 2 years, I have only heard it twice - so it could be people who moved here from California. Or just two people's own unique phrase. Either way, to me it sounds odd even though correct enough.
Saturday, July 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment